Wednesday, December 22, 2010

So of Course You Know What Happens Next...

     I have a temper. It's not like, always out there, bashing and crashing into things. But lately it's really been making itself felt, especially in situations where I'm given a job to do and no directions. Like most everything in the Fraternity, lately. To make it more complicated, everyone in leadership is doing double and triple-duty, so it gets confused. I'm thinking we should begin every conversation with "What are we talking about...?"
     The Holy Spirit goes ahead regardless of whether or not we have our head on straight. God's work gets done and we can either be there for it, or we can stand in the corner sulking. I prefer to do it well, but that's not always how it gets done. So, as we slide into the week before Christmas we are able to duck out of the mayhem and do other things: clean house, bake cookies, decorate the Christmas Tree. Thank goodness for holidays! They get me off the front lines and let other people have a vacation from me.

     At our last Fraternity meeting we received new Candidates. A year or so ago that was us, standing up in front of the community, making a (small) promise to embrace the period of learning and formation. It was a happy day for JoAnne and I, and it was the start of wonderful things. I say that the simple discipline of daily prayer worked a great transformation. I've found strength and willingness to work on my shortcomings. I've been given a lot of insight into God's will and his Gospel, as much as I can handle, really. And I've been able to sort myself out better than any other time in my life. I think that's another Gospel effect. Looking ahead, I can see where the life of service brings much change, in our attitudes, our desires, and especially our understanding and awareness of God's presence. I love my Fraternity. It is like any family where you wouldn't trade them for the world, but sometimes you could just brain them! Well, God has his way and his purpose. Here is where I stand, so this is where I serve.
     My hope then, is to grow as a servant, putting others first, learning patience and how to see things from other people's perspective. It's not all about me, and that's a good thing, really. It gets me off the hook. But there is a temptation to let service become something on the surface, with no substance, no real giving underneath. I would say that if it isn't driving you crazy now and then, you're probably not committing yourself. I know that God loves me and from love he has given me this path to walk, and I do love it. But there are so many things I can't say, I just don't have words for. So I search among the lives of the saints, finding new friends all the time. Ours is a big, eternal family. We should get to know each other.

     So I came here today to set up a new blog, actually, a place where I can talk about my brother, Pat, maybe tell his story, share his quirky brand of goodness with others. He lives like a parable--there is much to learn from knowing him. But I want you to know that even with the busy holidays, with all the distractions, this blog is my first love and I intend to see it through. It's all about the journey, like walking to Emmaus. Out here on the road, we can expect to meet God...

No comments:

Post a Comment