Sunday, September 12, 2010

     Today we went over to Saint Mary's to meet parents and children who will be attending Religious Education. It turned out to be a wonderfully large group of mixed needs--basic education, sacramental preparation, and behind the children, adults coming to learn about the Church. It was a wonderful energy, full of hope and expectation that made faith come alive. Or perhaps it works the other way around, that a lived faith creates new energy. Which I needed, because the day before I watched several documenataries about 9/11 and the memories left me wondering how a Franciscan, dedicated to the path of peace, responds to such incomprehensible error. I was at a loss.
     So I didn't sleep well, struggling with a cold, and thought I might miss Mass again. Second week in a row. That's a bad cold. I took what medicine I could find and just went, planning to sit near the door in case a coughing fit came over me. But then I started feeling better. And then I started feeling wonderful because I got to go forward to receive Him in Holy Communion. And then it all started to make sense.
     The proper response to incomprehensible evil in the world is always to turn to Christ. When in the name of faith people commit murder, condemn the innocent, burn holy books or otherwise support the agenda of death, and we, in contrast, are so small, we return to Christ. And he makes action. He restores us to health. He unites us to himself, and he gives us to the world in another way. Those were the three movements of my Sunday, and I understand that such is to be expected when we rely on Jesus.

     I like the approach of the leaders at Saint Mary's. How will we teach the children? We will be like the children, proclaiming faith openly, living it publicly, studying it avidly. We will be for each other, the children for the teachers, the teachers for the children. And that way, like yeast in the dough, we will all rise together.

     I started writing tonight to say something else, but it has abandoned me. I believe, however, that Christ is near, guiding me safely. I can go to bed and rest peacefully, looking forward to the hope of another day living the Gospel.

     Oh, there was a lady there today, a security guard. She watches the buildings. She watches the people come and go. She watches the Christians worship and teach. Today she came in to find out more about becoming a Catholic. As far as I could tell nobody's been talking to her about being Catholic. I guess she just likes what she's been seeing. We must be doing it right...

No comments:

Post a Comment