Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tradition

Someone told me this weekend that, by tradition, a blog typically has an entry every day, sometimes several.

Oh.

The problem I see with that (as a poet) is the ordinariness of such daily dialog. Who wants to hear the dull details of what my dog is doing?
So then we get to the heart of things.

Life is not always exciting. I do not always have “great thoughts”. Even the Spirit of God (once our attention is fixed) turns to drum at the dull details that, taken together, so often make up the fabric of our difficulties.

We know that Jesus noticed the daily details, the feathers on a sparrow, the fibers in a blade of grass, perhaps how many seeds there are in a blossom of wheat, which way the wind is blowing… I’ve been getting the message without noticing: God is in the details. So, I suppose that in the spirit of a correspondent sending back bulletins from the wilderness, I might be a little more dedicated to the daily job of keeping you informed. I’m going to work this morning. They will be serving Nachos as a way of showing their appreciation for teachers (and other staff) during Teacher Appreciation Week. My siblings are planning a camping trip in a couple of weeks. My friend, Brother Damien, O.S.B. had earned his Doctoral Degree. The garden waits for my attention. It is getting warm outside. I will leave the laundry on the line this morning to get some fresh air. I am building a bird feeder.
And like most people I worry about many things, definitely not a Franciscan charism, but what the heck… Here’s a news flash:



I’m not perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment