Friday, May 14, 2010

Giving Justice A Hand

     Last night JoAnne and I attended a convocation of the Valley Interfaith Project where we heard a variety of stories from the community on local issues and concerns. There were a thousand people gathered from groups and associations of many kinds. These groups are organized for community action, and they form a strong coalition working at the grassroots for positive changes. The excitement was real.
     It was the first time I can say I was being political. I could feel the underlying process, the real power of democracy. It reminded me of the activism of the Sixties and it gave me hope. I have been praying to be of use to God, as a Franciscan, to find my gifts and use them all while there is time. Change seems to be very important to God and time is the measure he uses, all for our benefit.
     One speaker said that "justice is not real unless it is embodied". To me that means it's not enough to talk about things. We must act for change to happen. All my life I've been a talker. Last night I signed a form to attend another meeting in June. The Valley Interfaith Project is building energy for September and will be making itself heard in Arizona. But they are associated by commitment to larger associations reaching beyond our local cities and borders to link hands across the nation. I know I am just beginning, but I feel the connection. I am not just a talker anymore. I am giving my hands to the work of the Spirit in Arizona. How this will turn out I can't even guess. Maybe I will need another blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment