Wednesday, March 24, 2010

God's Footprints

We have been offline for about two weeks because of a computer problem. We seem to have come out alright and are getting back up to speed, but it has been quite an experience in an unfamiliar world. These things tend to shake up my complacency. Trust me when I say a lot of praying was involved.

But the demands of solving this problem also made me reflect on whether or not I need so much technology in my life, particularly when I have to spend money maintaining it. How do I ask God to provide in this area? I am now fifty-six years old. On Friday night a woman called me "elderly". That was a bit of a shock, but fair enough, I guess. I'm certainly not a teen and by default, don't have a young person's facility where computers are concerned. If I could blog with my Royal typewriter, I'd do it in a flash.

Moses and Abraham and Isaac all knew what it was like to move from their homeland into unfamiliar territory. That seems like a running theme in the Bible and in Christian life as well. When we give our hearts to God, he may very well move us to new ground, and as I had to make choices about whether or not to proceed with technology in my life, I had to think about whether or not God had a purpose for it.

Because that's what conversion really means. We have finally, at last, "after many wanderings, many years of absence", come to a place where we can see into new country. We are seeing into God's country, God's kingdom, God's world. It's not whether God does or doesn't like computers. They are here. We have to learn to use them with the same faithfulness that we use money or power. God, of course, can figure a way--like this blog. Our modern tools belong to our time. We are meant to use them well. So, if you're there, I'm back. A little chastened, a little more humble (hopefully), and still willing to tell you about our journey.

1 comment: